Hundreds of Americans die each year in semi-truck accidents or tractor-trailer accidents. These 80,000-pound vehicles are often seen as “death traps” and lead to catastrophic injuries and death in a majority of instances. Under-ride accidents are particularly dangerous, which involve a smaller vehicle colliding into the side of a truck, forcing the smaller vehicle to crumple and wedge underneath the truck. It’s not uncommon for truck under-ride collisions to cause severe head trauma and decapitation.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a semi-truck accident, follow these steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- File an accident report with the police.
- Cooperate with the police to make sure the report is accurate.
- Compile any relevant documentation such as medical records, photos of the damage to your vehicle, insurance information and vehicle registration for all parties involved.
- Refrain from giving a statement to the insurance adjusters until you’ve consulted with our lawyer. Insurance representatives, especially representatives of trucking companies, will try to get you to admit fault or agree to a settlement far below what you’re owed.
Semi-truck accidents can be triggered by many factors, but the most common causes include:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Poor maintenance
- Parts failure
- Inadequate training
- Substance abuse
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in an accident with a semi-truck or tractor-trailer, please contact our accident lawyer in Prescott Valley today at 928-778-2660. The Jensen Phelan Law Firm, P.C. serves clients throughout Northern Arizona including Cottonwood, Prescott and Prescott Valley.