Mere hours after celebrating what we’re thankful for, masses of Americans flock to large retailers with the hope of snagging the hottest item for the cheapest price on Black Friday. Some of these avid shoppers have paid the ultimate price in the past, resulting in personal injury and wrongful death cases across America. In total, 7 deaths and approximately 98 injuries have been attributed to Black Friday shopping.
Black Friday fatalities include:
- Long Island, New York, 2008: A temporary Wal-Mart employee is trampled to death as eager shoppers rush inside the store. Four others were injured including a pregnant woman who later miscarried.
- Palm Desert, California, 2008: A shooting at Toys ‘R’ Us leaves two men (who were also the shooters) dead.
- Charleston, West Virginia, 2011: Man collapses at Target due to pre-existing heart condition. Fellow Black Friday shoppers ignore and step over the man. He later died at the hospital.
- San Bruno, California, 2012: Father falls asleep at the wheel after Black Friday shopping with his four daughters and wife. Two of his daughters died in the auto accident. He was later charged with vehicular manslaughter on two counts.
- Gaston County, North Carolina, 2013: Teen driver falls asleep with four passengers in the car after shopping for Black Friday. The driver died, and the passengers sustained minor to severe injuries.
These deaths highlight the dangers of crowd mentality and drowsy driving. In the 2008 Wal-Mart case, the employee’s family filed a wrongful death claim for negligence. There were no safety protocols in place to protect Wal-Mart employees from stampeding customers.
In an attempt to create a safer environment, conglomerates such as Wal-Mart and Toys ’R’ Us have beefed up security in recent years. Many stores now offer online Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals to encourage some of the crowd to stay at home.
The Jensen Phelan Law Firm, P.C. hopes you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and if you choose to shop on Black Friday, stay safe.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident or due to the negligence of an individual or company, please call our lawyer in Prescott Valley today at 928-778-2660 to schedule your consultation. Jensen Phelan Law Firm, P.C. represents clients throughout Northern Arizona including Prescott and Prescott Valley.